Friday, April 9, 2010

Homemade Smoke Monster and What I Ate

It's Friday night...and the mood is right.  Gonna have some fun, show 'em how it's done, TGIF.


Oh, the memories.  Today is sort of a gloomy, cooler Friday, but that gives me a big burst of energy, as too many sunny days in a row freak me out.  We need some variety and mystery in the weather, right?  Besides, I like spring, and I am not ready for summer. 

Last night's dinner with Mex was delicious, if one could overlook the brouhaha I created by spilling the marinade off of the baking sheet onto the bottom of the oven, thus creating a smoke monster, thus setting off BOTH oversensitive fire detectors in our apartment.  Mex manned one while I manned the other, fanning in front of it and pressing the button.  Those sorts of loud, incessant noises make me violent, though, so there was a big come(calm)down after that...but the food tasted great.  Then after dinner, Mex had more midterm grading to get done, so I let him escape to the bedroom to work while I cleaned up and scrubbed the bottom of the oven for about 40 minutes.  I wore myself out and still didn't get all the baked-on grease off.  We couldn't find any product that would make a dent in it until my roomie suggested vinegar and baking soda, and that got some of the job done.  Man, I think the rest is permanent -- I don't know what else we can do.  Is it sad that I'd never cleaned an oven like that before?  I don't know if I've had to.  And now I will be careful enough with pan juices to never have to again, damnit.

Oh, prior to dinner, I came home to an apartment without power because a manhole cover had exploded in the street in front of our place, right into my landlord's parked car (the underside, poor car), and ConEd were busy outside working.  Thankfully we were operational by 7:00 pm, so my evening continued as planned, but man, good thing there was a car parked to absorb the shock!  As opposed to a person, I mean.

But TONIGHT!  Is another Henna Party with BSH.  There will be henna, and yummy food of some sort (maybe pizza?), and some moderate wine and maybe beer, if needed.  I will attempt to defy the smoking temptation, but we'll see.  (I've been doing pretty well, it's just the drinking that's the trigger.)  Then home for some more Mex time.  Tomorrow I should practice some of my softball moves (I was instructed to "strengthen my legs" for pitching...yikes), and tomorrow night is Schmate's big birthday bash.  It's shaping up to be a great weekend, and all I have to do is get through five more hours of work...well, including one lunch hour, during which I will watch Top Chef: Masters that I missed on Wednesday.  That part's not so bad. 

Foods of today:
B - string cheese, coffee, milk, honey o's - 5
L - sandwich, yogurt - 5/6
D - TBD
S - soup, granny bar, vino - 4
Total - probably way over 20, but we'll see
Activity - walking to Columbus Circle to meet BSH, recreating the Henna Murder Pose (below)

1 comment: