Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Gnome Story: A Retraction

It is with a heavy heart that I must pass along this news.  My conscience wouldn't let me keep it to myself, and yes, I still have one of those.  Apparently The Gnome Story is FALSE.  Schmillie passed along this hot tip:  http://www.snopes.com/embarrass/mistaken/troll.asp

This raises so many questions.  Why would the church lady lie?  Did she know it was a lie?  Who originated such a hateful trick -- hateful because of the joy it gave and now takes away?  Can I ever tell my mother that it's an urban legend?  Will it break her old heart?

I'm going to stop retelling it, obviously, but I will also always hold the mental picture of the jelly beans smooshed under the door to the grateful (and frightened ) midget dear to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment