Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Disney Songs are Playing in My Head

Well, it's appropriate that I have Joan Holloway on a billboard outside of my office window, as we didn't have internet at work until today, and I felt like I was working in the 1960s.  (We also had to shut down the computers for long stretches so work could be done.  Don't ask me what.)  But that meant we had time to unpack most everything, which was a big relief, and now it means I'm scrambling to make up the computer work I couldn't do the past two days.  My big goal for tomorrow is to pay a giant stack of bills, but it should be quiet (famous last words) as most people are leaving to travel for Thanksgiving, so I'm optimistic.

The move went well, as you sort of know, and once I'm fully settled in I'm going to be really happy in my own office.  With, you know, guest chairs and a door and a window.  So thrilling.  I'm also going to bring in a lamp to set the mood.  Thanks for those extra lamps, HarperCollins.  (Mwa ha ha.)

Let's recap the weekend!  Friday night I was so loopy after the busy week with not much sleep.  I was talking to my mom on the phone and apparently not making much sense, as she said "Oh honey, go to bed.  You sound insane."  So yeah, I watched some Millionaire Matchmaker (UM, how cute is Caroline Manzo's older son from Real Housewives of NJ?) and then conked out around 10 pm...and woke up at 8:30 on Saturday.  I mean, that was a good amount of sleep, but I was hoping for more.  I had leisurely coffee, cleaned my room, and then got a mani/pedi.  I had a date planned with Hike for the evening, though I didn't know what our plans were, so I'd offered to go into the city to hang out with Schmillie for awhile and keep her company during a rough patch.  Turns out Hike had wanted to drive out to Long Island to a restaurant he loves, which is such a romantic idea, but I felt like I was needed in the friend department, so we postponed those plans until another time.  He was very understanding with me not being able to commit to a time or plan, and it worked out that I met up with him at 9 and saw his apartment and met his roommates.

So then we went to Mojave in Astoria, a spot I've been wanting to try for awhile.  It was really romantic with lots of low lighting, and the food was AMAZING.  We shared the Chicken Spinach Mole Enchiladas and a Blue Crab Quesedilla.  Then we went to this Czech bar across the street from his apartment and had two beers and just talked and got goofy and all that.  Sunday morning I lounged around here, gabbing on the phone to Britch (who is back in the States!) and Schmauren, and then went to see the new Harry Potter with my roommate and a friend.  It was good to see it, but man, they are killing me with this Ron and Hermione tension!  (That's not a spoiler, right?)  Then bed on the early side.

And then it's Thanksgiving!  I'm sad to miss my family's celebration for the first time, but I will be pretty distracted by the fun of spending the day with Hike and meeting his family.  (Now I just have to figure out what to wear.)  We're just going for the day, and we have plans to watch a Harry Potter movie marathon at some point during the weekend, too.

So right, I'm thankful for my life.  I'm thankful for loving friends who will listen to me yammer in the best and worst of times, for a fulfilling and rewarding job that doesn't require much extra-curricular effort (not counting last week), for a family that always lets me know how much I am loved and missed, and for God's incredible grace and generosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment