Monday, March 28, 2011

Weekend in Review

Hello, my law-abiding interfriends.  How were our unseasonably cold weekends?  It's just so frustrating to have been teased with a few warm days and now we're back to actually painful (ungloved) hands on my walk to the train this morning.  COME ON.

So the weekend was great but they are going so quickly now that I spend less time laying in bed eating tacos.  (That is not a euphemism.)  Friday night I took Hike out to Club A Steakhouse to celebrate his promotion at work, which we knew about awhile ago but it took a long time for HR to get him transitioned.  Today is when he starts the new position in the afternoons, and then next week he'll be fully moved to the new department.  I had bought a Living Social discount for the full prix fixe meal for two plus a bottle of wine for $80, which was a decent deal.  Our reservation was for 6 pm so we could just go from work, and we had appetizers (he had steak tartare, I had a ceasar salad), we both ordered a filet mignon and shared two sides (whipped yukon potatoes and creamed spinach) and then shared two desserts (carrot cake and tiramisu) and a bottle of wine.  It was a relatively fancy place, as they decanted the wine at our table AND did the crumb wiping, and the food was good, with the steaks being the highlight.  It was a really lovely date, and we had a lot of fun with each other and acted mushy and enjoyed ourselves very much for over two hours of lingering at the table.  Oh, and we had some serious Future Talk.  I love Future Talk.  Then we cabbed home to relax and watch Fraggles.

Saturday I headed over to Schmillie's for Henna Party: Afternoon Delight Edition, and she put out a very nice spread of cheese and shrimp dip and homemade olive tapenade, and we gorged.  We also had two bloody marys and then two bottles of wine, so you know, it was fun.  Oh, and she gave me homemade apple pie to go, later, since we were still SO FULL.  We played with the pets (she is in the process of moving in with her adorable boyfriend, so we were at his Red Hook loft and he has a dog and a hairless cat, which is mesmerizing), and at one point took our wine downstairs for a smoke and managed to not notice the cop car parked down the block.  Long story short, they wanted to fill a quota and we looked like two middle class white girls, so we got ticketed for open containers in public!  Luckily the fine is only $25 or I would be much more upset.  It's rather ridiculous but we did break the law and now we are officially rebels.  I haven't felt this conflicted since that shoplifting bust when I was 15.

So I cabbed back to Astoria and Hike picked me up to go to dinner (we tried this new place Dekko, which was not very impressive.  It's just fine.) and then it was 10 pm so we just went back home for more relaxing.  Sunday morning I battled a bit of a headache, but I wasn't too hungover, and then around noon we drove to see his grandma in the Bayside (Queens) area and visited with his mom and her boyfriend, who were also over visiting.  We had macaronis and gravy and meatballs and sausage, then the three ladies went grocery shopping for Grandma (and I picked up a few things), and actually Grandma insisted on paying for my grapefruit, apples, spinach and turkey sausage, and brown rice for Hike.  Oh Franny!  I wouldn't have put anything in the cart if I knew she wanted to buy it, but it was really sweet of her.  The men stayed back to watch some NCAA, then we all relaxed and had tea and cookies before Hike and I headed back to Astoria and for some more Fraggling and a late supper at my house.  Then bedtime! 

I dreamt that I was in college and I had a girlfriend who then dumped me, and I felt so embarrassed that she was dumping me to go back to her ex-boyfriend.  It was very strange, but I think it reflects some recent (and slight) changes in the dynamics of my lady friendships.  Today is good -- I'm groggy, as is the usual on a Monday, but I didn't take any sleeping pills so it's not too bad.  Has anyone tried Melatonin for help sleeping?  Hike is very into natural stuff and while I am not drinking all of that Kool-aid, it's influencing me a little.  But hey, I gave up Splenda for Stevia before he and I were serious, so it's not all him.  Anyway, I sometimes need some help calming down on Sunday nights, so if Melatonin works, I'd be interested.

Speaking of healthy changes in my life, I'm still weaning off of the Proactiv.  I use it about once every four days now, and in the beginning, I definitely was breaking out on my chin area, especially, but I think I was also feeling more stress.  I'm pretty calm lately (famous last words) and my skin is also improving.  I have been using this all-natural face care line about every other day, which I bought at the spa when I had my facial this winter, and I love it.  It just smells so great and makes me feel pampered and it's nice on my skin.  I use the cleanser, toner (aka lotion) and cream for combination skin, and I just ordered full-sized bottles of each, plus a bottle of facial oil to work into the routine.  I'm looking forward to using adult products and feeling pretty when I wash...so let's hope the breakouts continue to lessen.

And I am still smoking when I drink, which is occasionally, and this past weekend was the first time I'd bought a pack (to bring with me to Henna Afternoon.)  It proved again that I can't own them, since I smoked two yesterday.  It's like DESSERT, I have very little willpower, and I just think "I'll smoke them now so they'll be gone and then I won't have any."  I only have a few left at home, and I'm fine not smoking during the day or anything so I don't think this is a total fail, but it's a dangerous flirtation and I need to behave again after these are gone.  (Yes, I know, but I won't behave until they're gone, so shut up.)  I don't want to be a smoker, but at this time in my life (when I'm not a mother, when I live in the city and have social drinking functions and am youngish) I will have one every once in awhile, and that's going to be OK.  I just don't want to smoke a lot or be controlled by them.

Any other news?  Not really.  Today I'm cooking a half chicken from our CSA in the crockpot, so tonight I'll shred it and I think make soup...I was going to add BBQ sauce, but I have some lovely soup ingredients at home and it'll be a good WW-appropriate lunch.  (Well, either would, but this might be better.)  I also plan on going to the gym after work, since I went last Thursday (while my clothes were in the dryer at the laundromat!) and it's easier to go again once I break that hurdle.  Plus I've stopped GAINING weight but I'm not losing any yet, either, so we need to kickstart that process.  Especially since I ordered my bridesmaid gown for Britch's wedding on Friday and am SO NERVOUS about the fit.  Too big, too small, all of it.

P.S. I ordered these shoes from Piperlime and they arrived last week.  They are HOTT, right?  I'm in a shoe phase, what can I say?


No comments:

Post a Comment