Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Emerging Like a Butterfly

And I'm back.  Whew, the move was crazy.  Well, the actual move was great and smooth and only took 2 1/2 hours, but then Time Warner didn't show, one of the new apartment's windows wouldn't stay closed, and an outlet didn't work.  After a lot of bother, this was all resolved last Tuesday.  I stayed home from work and the contractors came in the morning to fix all the windows (they lock now, too!) and the outlet and then TW came later on.  It was very productive.  OH and I was in great shape the Friday night before the move, so Hike and I drove to Ikea on LI and bought the couch, so they delivered it on Sunday night.  It made the weekend a lot easier to not have to plan around an Ikea trip on Sunday.

It's been frustrating that while the new place appeared relatively clean, it was obvious that the previous tenants weren't that clean, so I had to wipe down all the shelves before putting anything on them, and really scrub the shit out of the top of the kitchen cabinets and the bathroom (lots of bleach there).  I mean, I'm happy to have it clean to start with, but it's taking longer and it's a lot of work.  The past two weekends I've pushed myself pretty hard, but finally I can sort of see the end of the to-do list.  Last night I did a ton of laundry, which was our regular stuff plus all the rags and the old towels and the new towels (so we could use them) and one of the new floor mats and the living room pillow covers, etc.  Tonight I need to clean up the kitchen table area, which has been sort of my junk area while I straightened everything else, and I need to put the bathroom together with the right shower liner length/width (cross your fingers, this is my fourth try), but maybe I can be sort of done after that?  Or at least not work so hard for a few days.  We'll still have to hang any decorations and buy bedroom furniture, but things will slow down.

I am really having fun using my new kitchen stuff and having pretty bathroom stuff and all that.  I realize these are things people usually register for, but I needed some of it now, and some of it I just decided that I have the extra money for and I want to live like a grown-up, you know?  I've been pretty frugal for a long time, so I'm allowed to have nice dishes (that I got on clearance) or whatever.  I can't wait for someone to come visit me now!  No one's seen it yet, though only recently would I have even wanted them to.  Still, it definitely feels like home.  It's just so comfortable to have my/our own place.  Well, it's ours and he's been there every night, but I think I should insist on at least one night a week alone, right?  It's only fair, since he hasn't officially moved in (or paid rent yet).  But the co-habitation has been pretty peaceful and nice, once things settled down from the move.  For a few days it was rough -- I was all business and he was gone, then would come home and need to "relax" and I'd get really angry that he wasn't doing more or anticipating what needed to be done, but that phase has mostly passed, and he was helpful when I directly asked him to do something.  Now it's nice to know that even when I work hard all day (office work then house work and cooking dinner) I will be able to fall asleep with my head on his chest while he plays with my hair.  It's those little things.

I've been so focused on the settling in that I now feel like I'm emerging from a cave or something, and I'm excited to get back to a normal life.  It was actually a quiet few weeks socially, which worked out well for me to hole up.  This past weekend we did have some friend time on Friday night (his friends who I enjoy very much) and then family time on Saturday night (Zipcar!), and I'm starting to re-assimilate into society again, thank goodness.  Plus this warm weather is making me want to sit outside and brunch or drink or drunch! 

Next time I'll tell you about our pet adventures (or at least in theory -- we don't really have one yet.)  Let's just say I'm starting to have very warm feelings about a pigeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment